Monday 13 July 2009

Does My Head Look Big In This, by Randa Abdel-Fattah (Children's, 11 years +, 9/10E)



2006, Marion Lloyd Books (Scholastic imprint)
351 pages
Personal Copy

Content: there is mention of drugs, I think maybe the odd curse word (can't quite remember), smoking, and boyfriends.

Summary from Scholastic
Hijabs are political. Can Muslim high-schooler Amal find the guts to wear her scarf full time? A funny, touching and heartfelt read about growing up Muslim in a world that doesn’t always understand you. In Melbourne, Australia, hijabs aren’t exactly normal. It would be easier to walk into class naked than wearing a veil. Boy, will the kids freak out. Amal’s always been a typical Aussie schoolgirl, with all the usual obsessions: boys, chocolate and Cosmo magazine. That’s all going to change once she shawls up. Plus, how much eyeliner should she wear with her hijab? And how will she catch the eye of her crush? It’s tough enough being sixteen without having to say: ‘Don’t panic – I’m Islamic!’

In the great spending spree a few months ago (ignores the TBR pile), I picked this gem off the shelf. I chose it to find out about Amal's journey into wearing the hijab (headscarf).

I find what people may not realise, is that sometimes it is harder to wear the headscarf if you're a born Muslim of a semi-practicing family, than a convert who embraces Islam. Why? As a convert, you don't have family pressure of wearing it. There isn't that expectation to wear it. I think born Muslims have it a little harder in choosing to practice their faith more fully.

Does My Head Look Big In This follows Amal, a high school student in Australia as she makes the decision to wear the hijab. Initially, I thought 'we're so different'. She's a born Muslim. Yes she's into boys a little too (but would never have a boyfriend and firmly believes in relations after marriage). I was wrong. The worries she had over wearing the hijab - despite the support of her parents and friends - were the same as mine. This book struck a chord in my heart. The fears (some are irrational) of what people think play a huge part in this life changing decision. Amal's journey isn't without its pitfalls. She loses one good friend. But what she gains is something she'll carry on with her forever: conviction of her beliefs, confidence, and amazingly instead of losing good friendships (the lost one is one which by my view was okay to lose) she gains very secure ones. And learns a lot about the people she loves in the process.

One to read if you'd like your eyes opened about what life can be like for a Muslim in Australia (or any other westernised place). Note: every single Muslim is different, but Amal's struggle with the hijab rings true for all hijab wearers.

One thing I really want to learn: exactly what her parents told her headmistress. That's why I give it a 4.5. Sounds petty, but its an issue I would have liked to have revealed, even if it was in a postscript!

I guess I'm a little biased about this book - I'm not approaching it from neutral ground. But I strongly promote it )

2 comments:

Danyelle L. said...

This sounds like a fabulous book!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review - the book sounds really great. And if you're interested in what goes on behind the words and the pages, check out THE SECRET LIFE OF AN AUTHOR