Wednesday 23 December 2009

Mini Review #8 Twilight by Stephanie Meyer (Young Adult, 7/10E on first read only, second read 9/10E)

2007 edition, Atom Books
464 pages, Paperback
Personal Copy

Content: some fights, vampires, tension, 


When 17 year old Isabella Swan moves to Forks, Washington to live with her father she expects that her new life will be as dull as the town.

But in spite of her awkward manner and low expectations, she finds that her new classmates are drawn to this pale, dark-haired new girl in town. But not, it seems, the Cullen family. These five adopted brothers and sisters obviously prefer their own company and will make no exception for Bella.

Bella is convinced that Edward Cullen in particular hates her, but she feels a strange attraction to him, although his hostility makes her feel almost physically ill. He seems determined to push her away - until, that is, he saves her life from an out of control car.

Bella will soon discover that there is a very good reason for Edward’s coldness. He, and his family, are vampires - and he knows how dangerous it is for others to get too close.

I wanted to find out what the hype was about. I haven't read any reviews prior to reading it. I did enjoy it. However, until the baseball game (nearly 3/4 into the book), the story was there, but nothing really happened (this is all in my view). There was the building friendship of Edward and Bella (stalkers are creepy though), but there wasn't really anything else, and I felt there could have been. The reader knows that Bella is warned off Edward by her school mates - but there isn't much conflict here. Edward's family don't do anything to Bella - considering how many are at school I expected something to happen - be it conflict in school, or out of school.

At the baseball game the book hit my 'brilliant' status and got a 5 heart rating. I love action, conflict of all sorts - and it was all here, everything I'd been expecting to happen, did happen. I couldn't put it down. For me it was a shame that it happened so late on, but I'm eager to read the other books.

No, I am not going to see the movie. Nayu adds 5th October 2014: seen & loved the movie!

Liked this? Check out My Love Lies Bleeding by Alyxandra Harvey

1 comment:

Gina said...

Okay, I simply HAD to see what you thought of one of my favorite series. Glad to see overall you liked it (YAY!), but truly would not recommend the movie unless you loved the books as in comparison to greatness....it's apples versus oranges. By itself, the movie isn't bad, but it pales in comparison to the written work (yes, pun was intended). =0)