Sunday 15 August 2010

Zelah Green: One More Little Problem by Vanessa Curtis



July 2010, Egmont 
240 pages, Paperback
Review Copy

Children's, 11+ /Young Adult 
Lots of humours, serious issues (OCD, cutting), lack of communication in families

Summary by Egmont

My name is Zelah Green - and I'm still here. 

Summer's supposed to be good, right? But I'm stuck at home with a lousy laptop, stacks of homework to start and dad being more useless than ever. And then Caro turns up out of the blue, all heavy metal and piercings and attitude, and my boring summer's turned upside down. It's like she knows just what to say to wind me up, sending my OCD right out of control....

My thoughts: 

I hinted in the review of book one that OCD can never be cured. Although Zelah's back home, she still has OCD tendencies. Initally having Caro stay at her house is okay. But Caro does so many things that aggrevate Zelah's OCD. I felt so sorry for Zelah when I watched more of those OCD tendencies come back. Although she is surrounded by people she knows, she feels so alone. Her OCD is the one thing - or so she thinks - that she can rely on. She learns a few truths about life which she doesn't like. But when she hits rock bottom, her true friends pull through and help her out. I feel this book shows that whatever a condition a person has, even if it gets reduced, it will also affect their lives. Family and friends don't always realise that there is no cure, that stress brings problems back. As someone who always thinks 'what happened next?' I was pleased to read the next part of Zelah's life. I'm hoping that in the future there might be more of her story. 

Final Conclusion: 

A good continuation of Zelah's life, showing how even with treatment OCD can flare up any time. Heaps of humour here. 

No comments: