Sunday 4 March 2012

Wonder by R J Palacio (Children's, 9 years +)


1st March 2012, Bodley Head
320 pages, Hardback
Review copy

Themes: middle school, being different, being ignored, bullying, having a sibling who is special, camp, some scary parts, some very funny parts, tissues needed.
WONDER is the funny, sweet and incredibly moving story of Auggie Pullman. Born with a terrible facial abnormality, this shy, bright ten-year-old has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it. The thing is, Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, underneath it all?

Nayuleska's thoughts
I loved this book because to me Auggie was normal. Okay, I didnt look different at school, apart from when I had to wear glasses which are super thick. All the feelings he went through, I went through. His overwhelming desire to be normal and fit in just for once was exactly how I used to feel. Auggie does find true friendship, and I cried at the major event at the end because a similar thng had happened to me, and after the incident every guy in my class looked out for me, making sure no one treated me badly, just like Auggie's friends did. The elation he has for his friends looking after him is pretty special. I know for most people Auggie's tale may show them what life can be like when people don't see you as the nonexistant normal, but for me it was nice to read about someone who actually is 'normal' to me. This so gets 10/10! 

Find out more on R J's website.

Suggested read
For another heartwarming read about a girl who is different to others, try Words in the Dust by Trent Reedy. 

No comments: