Monday 30 April 2012

Number Rhymes Tens and Teens by Opal Dunn & Hannah Shaw (Children's, Picture book, Non-fiction)



October 2011, Frances Lincoln
32 pages, Paperback
Review copy

Themes: counting, rhymes, maths, animal antics, memory, lots of humour
 
Summary from Frances Lincoln
This entertaining collection of rhymes explores counting backwards, counting in twos, and counting numbers beyond 10. From 'Five Little Monkeys' and 'Ten in a Bed' to 'One, two, buckle my shoe' and 'One hundred bees round a hive', these rhymes provide a rich range of enjoyable opportunities to familiarise children with ways of manipulating numbers.

An introduction, 'Cracking the Code', discusses ways of learning to count and use numbers beyond 10 - tens and teens - thus providing a useful help for adults.


Collected by a highly reputable early years educationalist with the clear aim of developing early number skills, these rhymes are vividly illustrated by an exciting new talent in children's picture books. This is a book that no foundation stage class should be with out.

 
Nayuleska's thoughts
The illustrations are equally, if not more important by the easy to chant rhymes. It joins the pile of books from when I was at school which I wanted (and did) reread because they made me laugh and fired up my imagination. Seeing the monkeys throughout the book made me think of the rhymes they were in; the sight of a cat on an upended broom was funny; the expressions of the sausages in the pan which were cooking cracked me up. 

My imagination got going with the bees - I imagined shopping malls within the funky coloured hives; the frogs in the retelling of one two, buckle my shoe made me think instantly of the frog toys & merchandise in the anime Read or Die The TV Series (yes that is the full title, a bit weird but an awesome read). This cheerful and memorable book gets 10/10 from me.


Suggested read
For more counting fun check out Three Little Mermaids by Mana Van Fleet 

No comments: