Tuesday 1 May 2012

The Breakaway by Michelle Davidson Argyle (Young Adult)

 
(Even knowing what happens, I still get shivers from the cover)

1st May 2012, Rhemelda
320 pages, Paperback
Review copy

Themes: money getting in the way of love, theft, honesty, compassion, kidnap, terror, stability, emotional freedom, abusive relationship (physical & emotional but most is restrospective thinking), the power of books in a person's life, adult relations (occasional) tissues needed

Summary from Rhemalda

When Naomi Jensen is kidnapped, it takes her parents two days to realize she's missing. Escape isn't high on her list of priorities when all she has to return to is an abusive boyfriend and parents who never paid much attention to her. For the first time in her life she's part of a family-even if it is a family of criminals. But she's still a captive. In a desperate attempt to regain some control in her life, Naomi embarks on a dangerous plan to make one of her kidnappers think she's falling in love with him. The plan works too well, and when faced with the chance to escape, Naomi isn't sure she wants to take it. 

Nayuleska's thoughts

Knowing the author of a book doesn't automatically make me biased. However, I know I'm biased with The Breakaway because I've loved it for years. I was hooked the first time I read it on my laptop, curled up on the sofa. I remember Michelle being amazed at how fast I finished it (It's possible I've got this memory muddled up with Monarch, which I also read in its early forms). I feel desperately sorry for Naomi because she doesn't really live life until she's kidnapped. She suffers both emotional and physical abuse, not realising either was wrong until she encounters the caring side of life. Even though i knew what was happening, I still got tingles at the ever present danger to Naomi in this 10/10 read

You can find out more on Michelle's website.

Suggested read


For another kidnap victim, check out Entangled by Cat Clarke. 

No comments: