Sunday 6 May 2012

Penny Dreadful Causes a Kerfuffle by Joanna Nadin (Children's, 7 years +)



March 2012, Usborne
144 pages, Paperback
Review copy

Themes: walking disaster, best friends, teacher's pet, childhood experiments, life at school, tween crushes, trying to help others, mysteries to solve, unexpected happenings, lots of laughter.

Summary from Usborne
My name is not actually Penny Dreadful. It is Penelope Jones. The 'Dreadful' bit is my dad's JOKE. But this time I really wasn't trying to be DREADFUL... No. I was just trying to DO MY BEST, so it is completely not my fault that right now I am sort of blueish all over and so is my sister Daisy's swan outfit. And I was also really TRYING TO HELP Joshua Bottomley fall in love with Daisy by doing a science experiment on him, but I did not know that he would just go a bit pale and green and it would all turn into one BIG kerfuffle!

Nayuleska's thoughts
I'm pretty accident prone, but I take my hat off to Penny for what happens to her. It's hard because she tries so hard to help and it mostly backfires. I loved her new classmate, although it got a bit gross which is why I'm giving it 9/10.

You can find out more on Joanna's website.

Suggested read
For another child who has everything happen to him check out Archie's life in I Don't Believe It, Archie! by Andrew Norris

No comments: