Wednesday 20 June 2012

The Vampire Blog by Pete Johnson (Children's, 11 years +, 9/10E))


201 , Corgi Yearling
236 pages, Paperback
Review copy


Themes: teen changes - not the normal ones, having very odd parents, trying to avoid being different at school, lots of humour, firm friendship found then lost through necessity, mild teen crush, moderate peril

Summary from Random House Children's Publishing
Marcus was convinced that vampires didn't exist. He was
very wrong . . .

On his thirteenth birthday, Marcus Howlett is faced with a bombshell. His parents are half-vampire. And, although he hates the thought of it, he is about to become one too.

But, as he secretly blogs about the horrors of his new fangs, bad breath and cravings for blood, Marcus is unaware that his life is in serious danger . . .

Nayuleska's thoughts
It was a real pleasure to read this because I'd read the second book first. It was really funny how poor Marcus totally rebelled against every step in becoming a half-vampire. His parents are so enthusiastic they remind me of Amu's parents in the anime Shugo Chara, where one character does transform into a bat themed costume...thankfully Marcus won't have wings in his human form.

Marcus uses humour to cover up his fear and uncertainties. I adored Tallulah, especially the role she plays at the end. I nearly cried at the end for what she had unwillingly sacrificed. This gets 9/10 because, unless I've forgotten (likely) there wasn't much of an explanation as to why the school didn't seem to mind that Marcus skipped several days at a time.

You can find out more on Pete's website.

You can also enter a competition to win this and the other two books in the series here on NRC, International, ends 12pm GMT Saturday 30th June.

Suggested read
For another vampire who struggles with himself at school, check out Vlad's in Eight Grade Bites by Heather Brewer


1 comment:

Alandre said...

I always turn to Vampire any time I want to. I become a Vampire because of how people treat me, this world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. at the snack of my finger things are made happened. am now a Powerful Man and no one step on me without an apology goes free. i turn to Human being also at any time i want to. and am one of the most dreaded Man in my Town. i become a Vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a Vampire Kingdom by given me their email. if you want to become a Powerful Vampire kindly contact the Vampire Kingdom on their Email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com