Monday 11 June 2012

What are YOU reading? #119


What are you reading on Monday? is a weekly meme hosted by Rachel at Home Girl's Book Blog where you post books completed last week and plans for upcoming books. Jump over to her blog and see who else is participating.




Books I've read


Grandma Bendy by Izy Penguin
Children's, Picture book
(The stars of the book for me wasn't the the grandmother...but the mice!)
10/10









The Cupcake Club: Emma on Thin Icing by Coco Simon
Children's, 7 years +
(Emma learns a valuable lesson...that asking for isn't a show of weakness.)

10/10








Dork Diaries: Skating Sensation by Rachel Renee Russell
Children's, 8 years +
(I've no idea how I haven't seen this series before - it's hilarious!)
10/10











Rapture by Lauren Kate
Release Date:  June 2012
Young Adult
(I got wrapped up in the story which made me love the series...instead of disliking it, which I had after the 2nd book!)
9/10











Butterfly Summer by Anne-Marie Conway
Children's, 9 years +
(Lots of mystery awaits Becky, as well as a whole new future...)
10/10 











The Chocolate Box Girls:  Summer's Dream by Cathy Cassidy
Children's, 9 years +
(A heart warming tale of ambition gone too far, and a girl who needs the people she pushes away.)
10/10











My Family and Other Freaks by Carol Midgley
Young Adult
(Danni is a drama queen who had me smiling away with all her world ending disasters...)
9/10







 Re-reads








Shugo Chara! #1 by Peacb-Pit
Manga, Young Adult
(This is as fab as the anime!)
10/10










Drina #6: Drina Dances in New York by Jean Estoril
Children's, 9 years +
(The one where she goes on a cruise and meets her future sweetheart...)
10/10










Drina #7:  Drina Dances in Paris by Jean Estoril
Children's, 9 years +
(This is a continuation of Drina jet setting around the world, gaining in dancing skill & personal relations...)
10/10










Drina #8:   Drina Dances in Madeira by Jean Estoril
Children's, 9 years +
(Drina deals with harsh realities that make her mature emotionally, yet as ever...forgetting the world when she dances.)
10/10





 
 
 
 

It Happened to Nancy by Anon
Young Adult, Non-fiction
(This heartbreaking diary is tied intimately with Nancy's thoughts after she is raped & contracts aids. My review of it is here, and I wish to add that Nancy's story in a weird way makes me grateful that I inherited my condition, rather than contracting it. What Nancy has to deal with on a day to day basis make being a slow mover, being on lots of medication & having chronic pain a walk in the park (lol!) I say that because Nancy had to constantly take measures to protect others from herself, especially when she was bleeding in intimate areas, something that doesn't ever cross my mind. I truly have the utmost respect for Nancy and her family & friends who figured out in the end what was best for her, which wasn't necessarily her being with them. I've learnt what true courage is from Nancy's life, and I hope her story continues to inform others about what to do after being raped, what it's like to have AIDs, and what the effects on loved ones are. I cried a lot in this book as I already knew what happened next. Nancy has a place in my heart. I know that in the future when I find things tough I will reflect on how the end was for her as I feel humbled by her attitude. Apologies for a second review here, but life is short and some things need to be said, and not wrapped in my heart...)
10/10
 
 
 
 



No comments: