Sunday 15 July 2012

Losing Lila by Sarah Alderson (Young Adult)



2nd August 2012, Simon and Schuster
346 pages, Paperback
Review copy

Themes: fugitives, special powers, keeping secrets from those you love most, disobedience, hurting loved ones, the danger in misunderstandings, military adventure, kept under guard, escaping, learning new skills, working with people you hate, fighting for justice, bittersweet reunion, lots of heartache, some teen romance, some violence, a tissue is needed

Summary from Simon and Schuster

Alex and Lila are on the run, desperately trying to stay one step ahead of the Unit, which is somehow tracking their every move. While Alex is determined to keep Lila safe and her ability secret at any cost, Lila's only thought is of finding a way back to California so she can rescue her brother and mother from the military base where they're being held.

Struggling to control both her growing power and her deepening feelings for Alex, Lila decides the time has finally come to stop running and start fighting. Together with Alex, Demos, and the others she's come to think of as family, Lila plans not only to save her brother and mum, but also to completely destroy the Unit and everything it stands for. But the plan requires Lila to return to California alone, and to make friends with the enemy - and in doing so, she risks losing everything: Alex, her family… even her life.

Nayuleska's thoughts

I love 2nd books because I already know most of the main characters. It was a real pleasure to watch Lila's relationship with everyone she contacts deepen. Some of their criminal influence makes quite an impact on her, both helping & hindering later action. I love how her power isn't stagnant, it branches out in unexpected forms, providing great material for book 3.

I loved this book because finally Lila is in the Unit's territory under guard, something I'd wanted to happen in Hunting Lila. I was happily surprised by the plot twists, some of which led to wet eyes.

I have to confess that I did peek at the end of the book before I finished it. In my defence it was while I waited for a hospital appointment, and was wanting a happy ending. I don't regret my actions because I adored the events at the end. I guess I didn't get the complete effect of not knowing the plot, but I still give this book 10/10.

To find out more about Sarah check out her website.

Suggested read

 As well as reading book 1, Hunting Lila, check out Sarah's other book Fated.

No comments: