Monday 20 August 2012

Ellie May Would Love to Be Taken Seriously For a Change by Marianne Levy (Children's, 7 years +, 10/10)



6th August 2012, Egmont
224 pages, Paperback
Review copy

Themes: life as a child film star, ludicrous fashion, being an air head, being self-centred, caring (& not caring) for nature, nature reserves threatened with elimination, hilarious antics, being yourself, compassion, lots of humour, a tissue is nearly needed.

Summary from Egmont
Dear Everybody,

I’m an incredibly famous film star! I get to sign autographs and be in magazines and I have my very own chaperone, Jeffrey, to look after me. Hooray!

But I am also a very serious person. I love nature. I have a bag decorated with butterflies. Did you know that butterflies turn into caterpillars? Amazingly amazing!

And that’s why I’m helping to save a nature reserve. I've never saved anything before, but it can’t be very hard . . . can it?

Love, Ellie May xxx


Nayuleska's thoughts
Ellie May is an air head. Her focus is herself, along with fashion and beauty. If something isn't what she considers beautiful then she doesn't think about it. Lettice makes Ellie May change. Finally someone doesn't like Ellie May which makes her upset. For once she has a hard think about life and what she wants to do, not just what she must do for people to be her fans. It's a brilliant example that we should be ourselves - there's no need to try & be like other people because that won't work. Only you can be you, as both Ellie and Jeffrey each discover. That's a lesson I learnt as an adult, which is why I'm glad this 10/10 read is on bookshelves. Will it be on yours?

You can find out more on Marianne's website.

Suggested reading

For another ditzy character check out Penny Dreadful Causes a Kerfuffle by Joanna Nadin

No comments: