Saturday 25 August 2012

Never Lie On a Lion by Alan James Brown (Children's, Picture book, 10/10)



2nd August 2012, Bloomsbury Children's books
32 pages, Paperback
Review copy

Themes: wild animals, how to behave around animals, having fun, being respectful, obeying instructions, taking care of pets, lots of humour and mild peril

Summary from Bloomsbury
Never lie on a lion or creep up behind a sheep. Why? Because all sorts of things can happen, as we soon find out in this lively read-aloud text for the very young.

Nayuleska's thoughts

I enjoyed the warm feeling I got from the pastel looking illustrations. Mpst are curved, with the strokes being curved too, which always has me enjoying a book more (I'm weird. Curves somehow equal good things).

It's clever how the explanation for each warning is explained in the illustrations. Readers will have to think about why you can't lie on a lion, which may spark interest in learning more about nature. My favourite parts are the page with cst (I chat to my cat a lot) and the page with the cow (I have a friend who is obsessed with cows) in this 10/10 read.

You can find out more on Alan's website.

Suggested read

For more animal mayhem try Boo Boo Baby and the Giraffe by Eileen Brown and Emily Bolam


No comments: