Wednesday 5 September 2012

Can It Be About Me? by Cheryl Moskowitz (Children's, poetry, 10/10)



2nd August 2012, Janetta Otter-Barry Books,
128 pages, Paperback
Review copy

Themes: life at primary school, friends, what to do when teased, playtime games, school timetable, taking the register, struggling with maths, having fun, secrets, interactive science

Summary from Frances Lincoln

What I do when someone calls me stupid…
First of all I know they're wrong,
then I find that place inside where I am strong
I walk away with my head held tall
till I find someone that I can call
a friend
a friend

Poems about me, about you, about everyone in the class.
Poems about friendship, playing games, teachers, bullying, jealousy, quarrels and secrets…

Nayuleska's thoughts

Poetry isn't something I read all that often. I remember I had a beautifully illustrated treasury of poems when I was at primary school which I'd look at the pictures and sometimes read the poems. This looked like a fun poetry collection & it is. I enjoyed the explanation of the poems' origins, how some are literary poems with rules that have to be followed: I've heard of haikus bu I hadnt heard of cinquains. Most aspects of school life are explored in the poems which sent me along memory lane in this 10/10 read.

Suggested read

For more school antics try Miss Bubble's Troubles by Malaika Rose Stanley

No comments: