Tuesday 6 May 2014

My Mummy is Magic by Dawn Richards and Jane Massey (Children's, Picture book, 9/10E)



 February 2014, Corgi, 32 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Themes: family life,
 
Content: Lots of happiness

 I think my mummy's MAGIC - I notice every day . . .
That whenever MAGIC happens, Mummy's never far away!

From a morning cuddle to a bedtime kiss, follow a mum and her little one through the day as they find magic in the simplest of things. The perfect gift to share with Mum on Mother's Day and every day.

Nayuleska's thoughts 
I enjoyed the simple rhyming sentences which capture the essence of a child's love for their mother, and gives an accurate picture of a typical day's routine. However, the reason I didn't give it top marks is because despite using the term mummy throughout the book, right near the end it switches to mum which disrupts the feel of the story. I prefer the term mummy and so often mum is used that this was all the better a read for using mummy instead of mum.

That said, it is such a cute read! I loved the contrast of picture textures like the soft looking hair and the pastel colours which surround the magic wand when in use. I liked how the child's toys joins them on some adventures. As a child who missed my mother terribly when I first went to primary school, so much so I ended up with a reward chart in an attempt to stop me from crying so much when she left, I think this will give readers confidence that the separation won't be for too long.

Check out more cute illustrations on Jane's website

Suggested read
You must read another sweet book by Dawn and Jane, Knight Time  (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E)

No comments: