Wednesday 28 May 2014

Pooch Parlour #1 V.I.P (Very Important Pup) by Katy Cannon (Children's, 7 years +, 10/10E)

Think Littlest Pet Shop & you're on the right track!
March 2014, Stripes Publishing, 112 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Themes: summer holiday, work experience with family, dog beauty parlour, TV stars, TV recording, pet chaos, unexpected compassion
 
Content: Lots of laughs, a few tense moments

Summary from Little Tiger Press
 V.I.P. (Very Important Pup!) is the first book in Pooch Parlour, a glitzy new series for children who love dogs and adore giving them the luxuries everyone's best friend deserves, written by Katy Cannon. Pooch Parlour is not just any grooming salon – it’s doggy heaven! It’s the perfect place for pet pampering and the dedicated team of groomers give each dog star treatment.
 

Abi is over the moon to be spending the summer helping out at Pooch Parlour, especially as she'll be taking Lulu, her fluffy pet Bichon Frisé. She can’t believe her luck when glamorous actress, Daisy Lane, and her adorable Pomeranian Jade appear at the parlour on her first day. Can she impress them with the Pooch Parlour pampering treatments? Daisy and Jane want to sparkle!

Nayuleska's thoughts
 Bearing in mind that I'm not keen on dogs (too lively/big/jumpy) plus I really hate them being dressed up, it's really saying something that I adore this new series. I thought it sounded cute, and it was exactly what I'd hoped it would be. I think it's awesome working with animals, so was eager to see how Abi coped with unpredictable furbabies. She fared really well, even when she thought she was being mature by fixing the chaos without telling her aunt, who actually would have helped her, she was so repentant that I felt it was my fault it happened.

I liked how Abi clearly has a talent with dogs, which gets recognised. It was fun to see how the dogs are bathed and groomed, as it reminds me so much of Winx season 4 where they have a magical pet shop which includes bathing, grooming, and clothing! Maybe that's another reason why I felt drawn to it.  I'm eager to read book 2 which is beside me ^o^

Find out more on Katy's website

Suggested read
Another fun story with a pet in - this time not a dog - is Clementine Rose and the Pet Day Disaster by Jacqueline Harvey (Children's, 7 years +, 10E/10E)

No comments: