Thursday 17 July 2014

Usborne Sticker Puzzle Holiday by Susannah leigh & Brenda Haw, Puzzle book, Activity book, 5 years +, 10E/10E, semi short 'n' sweet review)

 1st July 2014, Usborne, 34 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Summary from Usborne 
Follow the adventures of Katy and Tim on their trip to the Puzzle Holiday Park.

Children can work their way through the story by adding stickers, solving puzzles and spotting all kinds of creatures, from stinky skunks to juggling spiders.

Helps to develop essential skills including visual discrimination, sorting and matching, maths and logic.

Hints, along with the answers to all the puzzles, are included at the back of the book.
 
Nayuleska's thoughts
Squeee! This is exactly like the puzzle books I read from Usborne when I was little – it has lots of fun puzzles which are mostly looking for things, with some play on words, similar type of illustration...and the one thing which makes it ‘better’ is the fact there are stickers! I’m positive I never had stickers in all the other books (which I will read & review at some point).
 
The reason for the 2 ages is that I think younger ages could do the activities if they are given verbally, while older readers will be able to go through the book themselves. I like how stickers were used to highlight when items were found – that saves needing to use pen or pencil on the book. I’m not sure how restickable the stickers are, but I guess pencil could then be used instead.

The story – as all Usborne puzzle adventures which I’ve read – was engaging, there were problems to solve, a few moments for the reader to go ‘oh no!’ or gasp. I spent more time looking at the pictures, imagining what the people were doing or what the objects would be used for than I did reading through the book. That’s why Usborne was a firm childhood favourite of mine, and continues to be a pleasure to read now I review books. Don’t worry, the answers are all in the back of the book nice and clearly (if be it a little on the small side to help deter cheating. I won’t say I never cheated, and I did look for the cute little dragon who is extremely well hidden). Lots of time will be spent happily completing this adventure! 

Suggested read
Another fun sticker activity book from Usborne is 1 2 3 Sticker & Colouring Book (Children's, Sticker book, Activity book, 10E/10E)

No comments: