Friday 19 September 2014

Dirty Bertie: Rats! by David Roberts & Alan McDonald (Children's, 5 years +, 9/10E, semi short 'n' sweet review)


July 2014, Stripes Publishing, 96 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Themes: boys, pranks, mishaps, school, family life 

Content: lots of humour

Summary from Little Tiger Press
Calling all Dirty Bertie fans! Dirty Bertie – the boy with nose-pickingly disgusting habits – is back for another helping of comic chaos! With ever-increasing madcap schemes and crazy capers, Bertie continues to delight his legions of fans who revel in his revolting ways.

Join Bertie in Rats! his 23rd adventure, as he crosses paths with a cheeky rodent, takes part in a chaotic cross-country run, and tries to get his dog Whiffer to eat healthily – with disastrous results!

Nayu's Thoughts
This is the 23rd book of the popular series, but the first that I've read. I guess I was never interested because I prefer female protagonists. However, now I've read a wide range of books, I was intrigued and wanted to see what the appeal of Bertie was. It definitely is what I call a boy humour filled book, with some gross/icky situations (yes I'm pretty much a girly girl, hate getting dirty, hate bugs, love anything cute and fluffy). I can't say that Bertie is cute, but he is certainly a unique character. 

The book missed out on full marks because the numerous illustrations weren't 100% ones I enjoy, and it felt that one of the mini stories in the book finished a bit too soon, without explaining what happened next. I was surprised by the next story starting right then and there. at the next story with 

Find out more on the dedicated website

Suggested read
It happens that I enjoy reading a spin-off series from the Dirty Bertie books, which starts with Angela Nicely by David Roberts & Alan McDonald (Children's, 5 years +, 10/10E) 


No comments: