Saturday 20 September 2014

Milly and the Mermaids by Maudie Smith and Antonia Woodward (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E)

July 2014, Orion Children's, 32 pages, Hardback, Review copy 

Themes: underwater life, mermaids, friendships, playing 

Content: constant 'awww cute' illustrations

Summary from Orion
Heartwarming picture book about a little girl who dreams of meeting a mermaid, by OPAL MOONBABY author Maudie Smith, and with illustrations by new artist Antonia Woodward - gorgeously finished with glitter foil!
On a visit to the seaside, Milly is desperate to meet a mermaid. She's sure that if she just wishes hard enough, her dream will come true.


The underwater world of Maudie Smith's lovely tale is brought to life by Antonia Woodward's sumptuous artwork in this lyrical mermaid tale of fun and friendship, perfect for young readers.

Nayu's Thoughts
I thought the cover looked pretty - it's hard to explain just how awesome this book is as every single page is chock full of cute scenes. There are sparkly parts which made me smile as I tilted the book to see the sparkles sparkle. The story itself is full of lots of aww moments, all about making friends & having fun. As a mermaid fan, I can happy say this is a perfect addition to your collection! Definitely one I'll be rereading - ok, most of the time I'll just be looking at the pictures but that's ok too! 

Find out more on Maudie's website

Suggested read
Usually I'd suggest another picture book, but this time I'm suggesting an older book which made me feel a similar way to Millie's tale of friendship and discovery, Little Celeste! by Dawn McNiff (Children's, 9 years +, 10E/10E)

No comments: