Tuesday 14 October 2014

Breaking Nova by Jessica Sorensen (New Adult, 9/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

9th October 2014, Sphere, 368 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Content: some strong romance scenes, suicide, frequent use of drugs, alcohol use, tissues needed

Summary from Little, Brown
Nova Reed used to have dreams of becoming a famous drummer, of marrying her true love. But all of that was taken away in an instant. Now she's getting by as best she can, though sometimes that means doing things the old Nova would never do. Things that are slowly eating away at her spirit. Every day blends into the next, until she meets Quinton Carter.

Quinton once got a second chance at life, but he doesn't want it. The tattoos on his chest are a constant reminder of what he's done, what he's lost. He's sworn to never allow happiness into his life, but then beautiful, sweet Nova makes him smile. He knows he's too damaged to get close to her, yet she's the only one who can make him feel alive again. Quinton will have to decide: does he deserve to start over? Or should he pay for his past forever?

Nayu's thoughts
It's a good thing that I usually see the cover after I read the blurb. If I went by the cover alone, I'd have passed this book by. But I didn't. I was intrigued by what happened to Nova that changed her life so much. That intrigue soon changed to horror when I learned the truth. It's awful what happens to her, that's something no-one should witness. I've nearly been in the exact same situation, thankfully mine had a happier ending, although I'd lost a friend the same way a few years before the second incident. All the right emotions are there, trust me on that one. 

It's not surprising that she goes off the rails and gets locked into a lifestyle which is less than desirable and not all that good on her body. I wanted her to take the right path, which she does eventually, but she has to make a lot of wrong choices until she gets there. Personally Quinton is a wrong choice, but, to give him his due, he does help Nova to realise a lot of important things. I'm interested in the sequel to see what happens because the ending was a happy surprise for me. Those who are reading more for the romance side of the story will be annoyed with it! 

The grade comes from the content, I wasn't overly fond on the drug focus, even if I could understand the feeling of being high because I use ketamine legally for pain relief. I understood the side effects of feeling like nothing matters, which was weird to relate to. I realise it's part of the story which is crucial to Nova changing her mind about her life, but I'd rather have a protagonist who doesn't get high. 

Find out more on Jessica's website

Suggested Read
Another excellent New Adult read about a girl taking the wrong path before the right one is Grounding Quinn by Steph Campbell (New Adult, 9/10E)

No comments: