Tuesday 24 March 2015

Glee Club by Jo Cotteril (Children's, Reading Age 6, 11 years +, dyslexia friendly, 9/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

 February 2015, Barrington Stoke, 64 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Content: lots of drama

Summary from Barrington Stoke
Mel and her friends love the high school Glee Club. They can’t wait to take on their rivals in the tournament finals!

But when the director falls ill and has to pull out, is that the end of their chances at the trophy? Or can Mel pick up the role and lead her team to glory? It could be tricky, especially if tensions in the team start to get the better of them...

Nayu's thoughts    
As a fangirl of Jo's Sweet Hearts series I had to read this book. I don't really know much about Glee, but that didn't prevent me from understanding the dynamics of the drama group. It is amazing just how much misunderstanding and miscommunication can effect friendships and cohesion within a group – I wanted to tell a few of the characters to stop jumping to conclusions when the facts were staring them in the face! As frustrating as it was to watch, they all had to make huge mistakes before they could get themselves together and make the club's latest project a success. As ever with a Barrington Stoke book there is a lot of action and emotion packed into this semi-short read, making it seem just as long as the other novels I read. 

Suggested Read
You can guess my suggestion - it's book 1 in the Sweet Hearts series,  Star-Crossed (Children's, 9 years +, 10E/10E) I was going to put the cover up, but while searching for a less fuzzy picture than my one I spotted the entire series, which I hope you'll agree looks gorgeous! 
 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay Nayu! Thank you so much for this lovely review! (and I'm glad you enjoyed it more than Looking at the Stars, haha!) Jo x

Nayuleska said...

You're so welcome Jo. & yes, I was able to read it in one go! Looking At the Stars still got full marks, it was just a more serious subject than school drama. Wonder what you'll write next!

Anonymous said...

Next up is ELECTRIGIRL, part novel, part graphic novel, about a 12 year old female superhero, out next Feb with OUP! :-) (I am VERY excited about it!!)

Nayuleska said...

Would love to review it!!!! ^o^ You're my kind of writer :)