Sunday 22 March 2015

Polly and the Puffin by Jenny Colgan (Children's, 5 years +, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

It's Neil!!!!
 February 2015, Little, Brown, 79 pages, Paperback, Personal copy

Content: mild peril, humour, tissue needed

Summary from Jenny's website
Polly heard a CRASH downstairs. Was it a monster? NO! Was it a spider alien? NO!
It was a little puffin with a broken wing…

When Polly discovers an injured puffin, she and her mummy look after him in their cottage by the sea.

Slowly, Neil’s wing heals and Polly must prepare herself to say goodbye to her new friend. Will she ever see him again?
 
Nayu's thoughts 
This is an alternate version of one of Jenny's best adult fiction novels, Little Beach Street Bakery, with Polly as a girl who finds Neil, the most famous puffling in fiction! At least he is for me. I've been looking forward to this book for months and I wasn't in the least disappointed. I liked how all the illustrations used black, white and orange which adds to the story's appeal.
   You don't need to have read any of Jenny's books to fall in love with Neil, who eeps and looks adorable, making Polly laugh at his antics.

I desperately wish I could have a Neil – although my own zebra finch & bengalese finch might not take kindly to him. I sincerely hope that when younger readers are old enough to read the Little Beach Street Bakery stories they will love Neil even more.

Suggested read
I haven't reviewed Little Beach Street Bakery yet, 

but I have reviewed Meet Me the Cupcake Cafe which I relisten to the audiobook often! (Fiction, 10E/10E)

No comments: