Thursday 30 April 2015

The Ceruleans #1 Death Wish by Megan Tayte (Young Adult, Paranormal Romance, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

February 2015, Heaven Afire, 305 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Content: death, teen romance, tissue needed

Book summary
 Seventeen-year-old Scarlett Blake is haunted by death. Her estranged sister has made the ultimate dramatic exit. Running away from school, joining a surfing fraternity, partying hard: that sounds like Sienna. But suicide? It makes no sense.

Following in her sister’s footsteps, Scarlett comes to the isolated cove of Twycombe, Devon, with grand plans to uncover the truth. Alone. But she hasn’t reckoned on meeting two boys who are determined to help her. Luke: the blue-eyed surfer who’ll see the real Scarlett, who’ll challenge her, who’ll save her. And Jude: the elusive drifter with a knack for turning up whenever Scarlett’s in need.

As Scarlett’s quest for the truth unravels, so too does her grip on reality as she’s always known it. Because there’s something strange going on in this little cove. A dead magpie circles the skies. A dead deer watches from the undergrowth. Hands glow with light. Warmth. Power.

What transpires is a summer of discovery. Of what it means to conquer fear. To fall in love. To choose life. To choose death.

To believe the impossible.

Nayu's thoughts 
This is a riviting read which isn't what you think. I had ideas about who certain people in Scarlett's life were, as well as what her slowly emerging power was, and I was mostly wrong. Happily wrong though! There's so much heartache for Scarlett, so little is understood about why her sister died it's only natural she seeks answers. Nothing prepared me or her for what the reality of her life (ha! Sorry, that is funny once you read the story. Or maybe it's only funny to me) will mean for her future. It's the kind of book that made me want to reread it again straight away, just to understand all the events knowing what's revealed at the end. It also makes me want the next book right now!

All the characters are likeable, and I know a lot focuses on the teen romance between Scarlett & other characters but I was paying attention to how she thought about her sister. How she reacted around others when they spoke of her. She goes a little bit wild, with nearly tragic consequences, and although the end brings loads of questions I like the hope which clings to Scarlett. I felt that by her investigating her sister's death she allowed hope to bloom, hope for understanding and peace in the future, once she knew the truth. I'll be rereading this when I get my hands on book 2, just because I can! 

Find out more on Megan's website

No comments: