Monday 22 June 2015

But I Am A Cat! by Jamee-Marie Edwards (Children's, Picture book, 10/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

 January 2013, Authorhouse, 24 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Summary from Amazon (I don't gain anything by mentioning them)
Mr. Cat's sleepy eyes slowly opened. It's morning again, he thought with a squint. Time for a morning stroll... As Mr. Cat takes his morning stroll he encounters Mrs. Bee, Mr. Squirrel and lots of other fun loving animals. However, to his surprise what seems to be his routine stroll turns into an adventure of self-acceptance.

Nayu's thoughts
I'm a huge cat lover, as well as a believer in promotion self-confidence and any books which subtly explore self-development, which I Am A Cat did in a magnificent fashion. I probably was drawn in first by the highly detailed illustrations which made Cat seem like a character I wanted to follow on Mr Cat's journey of self discovery. Although originally given in the digital format, I was lucky enough to be given the paperback version, and I've already reread it twice simply to look at the pictures ^o^

I'm glad I did as it made me think about who I am, and why I am who I am. Every time Mr Cat confirmed who he was left me thinking 'Yes, he is that, even though others may not always see him that way'. I think there's no age too young to learn about self-awareness, and I think Mr Cat's tale will draw in readers long before they understand the full concepts, by which time they will subconsciously know about it thanks to Mr Cat.

No comments: