Monday 8 June 2015

Disclaimer by Renee Knight (Thriller, 10/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

This cover is creepier once you've read the book
April 2015, Transworld Digital, 320 pages, Ebook, Review copy 

Content: adult romance, rape, stalking, blackmail, some strong language, tissue needed
 
Summary from eBooks by Sainsbury's who also provided the book for review
When an intriguing novel appears on Catherine’s bedside table, she curls up in bed and begins to read.

But as she turns the pages she is sickened to realize the story will reveal her darkest secret.

A secret she thought no one else knew…

Nayu's thoughts 
I was hooked by the concept that Catherine discovered that her initially undisclosed past was written in a story – must be a horrible past if she wanted it kept secret. Let's just say it isn't all as it seems, and it is more horrifying than I could imagine. I can struggle with multiple viewpoints because I read when 'I'm tired so keeping who's who straight can be a bit disconcerting, however the antagonist gave me the creeps. I don't feel too sorry for them. Until the full truth was revealed I wasn't all that sorry for Catherine, I thought she deserved it. I can't say I agree with her choices, but I can see why she felt they were the best ones at the time. I was happily surprised by the end, as I didn't think life would change for her.

I think the major plot revelation freaked me out a bit, as it's just so awful, which stops me from giving this book full marks, but I totally recommend it as a chilling thriller which will keep you guessing and wondering until the final page. Very clearly written! 

No comments: