Sunday 19 July 2015

The Fairytale Hairdresser and the Little Mermaid by Abie Longstaff and Lauren Beard (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E)

 May 2015, Picture Corgi, 32 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Content: fairytale, lots of cuteness, humour 

The little memaid is all in a lather - the Sea Witch has stolen her beautiful singing voice!

The Fairytale Hairdresser will need all her hairdressing (and matchmaking) skills to tackle this terrible tangle and guarantee a happy ever after.

Nayu's thoughts
My favourite author/illustrator duo are back! This time with a story which is way better than the Disney version. Yes I'm highly biased as I adore The Fairytale Hairdresser series. I love seeing fairytale characters who I know well but doing slightly different things. There is so much going on in each picture, with a few characters (like the little fairies) ending up in a fair amount of scenes. 

I was extremely glad that the Little Mermaid's nemesis didn't have much page time as she is rather creepy, but she gets what she deserves. Even though I sort of knew what would happen to the Little Mermaid, seeing her so upset and hearing her tale of woe made me a little teary – she is so sweet that it seems unfair she gets what she wants but can't speak. I enjoyed watching the prince make his own plans to get closer to the Little Mermaid in the background scenes - he liked her as much as she liked him, as proven when their happily ever after happens and the reader gets to see what happens next.
I have many favourite scenes, but I like how Kitty goes to help the Little Mermaid in her own world, using sea-themed - be sure to check out the catmaid!
Ah, I'm so looking forward to which tale Abie & Lauren tackle next! Kitty's business continues to thrive and make me smile ^o^ 

Book is available at many book stores including NRC affiliate Foyles

Find out more on Abie's website and Lauren's website.  

Suggested read
Lauren and Abie helped me finally like the story of Snow White in The Fairytale Hairdresser and Snow White (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E) 

No comments: