Saturday 12 September 2015

Brian and the Giant by Chris Judge and Mark Wickham (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E)

 October 2015, The O'Brien Press, 32 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Content: a giant, lots of humour

Summary from The O'Brien Press
One night, the river beside the village mysteriously runs dry. It has done so every 100 years, since anyone can remember.

Brian and his gang go to discover what's causing the stoppage. Their journey takes them through some very strange and stinky places, never before seen territories, till they reach a giant dam which looks like a huge bath tub.

A giant is taking his 100 year bath, hence the stench. Brian invents a temporary water diverter that part-stops the flow of the river to create a Giant Shower at the Giant's causeway.

Nayu's thoughts     
I had the first book in Brian's adventure, but because it was a) about a boy and b) the cover didn't grab me I overlooked it and put it with the rest of my review books which go to a local primary school. I wish I hadn't! I idly flicked through Brian and the Giant and absolutely loved it! It's a hilarious adventure which certainly kept me guessing about the source of the stink. I kept imagining how the characters I saw on the page lived outside of the page, if that makes sense. 

I've always liked working out what background characters do – their expressions during the stink issue were priceless. The illustrations top off what is an excellent story, with an surprising and inventive ending. Eager for more Brian adventures now! 

 Find out more on Chris's website.

Available at bookstores including NRC affiliate Foyles

Suggested read
For another boy who experiences something amazing try Sammy and the Skyscraper Sandwich by Lorraine Francis & Pieter Gaudesaboos (Children's, Picture Book, 9/10E) 

No comments: