Thursday 19 November 2015

Dangerous Reflections by Shay West (Young Adult, 9/10E)

 June 2014, Booktrope Editions, 212 pages, Ebook, Review copy 

Content: humour, time travel, friendship, danger 

Summary from Booktrope Editions 
Alexis Davenport wants to go home. She hates her new school, her mother for moving her away from her friends, and her father for walking out.

To make matters worse, Alex is haunted by images of strange girls reflected in her mirror. It’s bad enough juggling homework, a relentless bully, boys, and a deadbeat dad; now, she must save the world from an evil presence hell-bent on changing the past – and our futures. Who knew her A+ in history was going to be this important?
 
Nayu's thoughts 
This is an amazing read...except it ends on a cliff hanger which frustrated me enough not to give it the highest grade. The reason I don't like cliffhangers is that unless I have the next book, they really annoy me as I then have to wait ages to find out what happens next. Sure I pass the time with other books, but cliffhangers are evil from a reader's view, brilliant from a writer's view. Being both a reader and a writer I'm qualified to say that.

When I started reading it, I wasn't in the right mood for reading about other characters besides Alex. Since there are other characters points of view in the beginning I simply switched books, and returned to it another day.

I'm glad I did that because it is such a fun tale. Poor Alex understandably freaks out a little when she time travels. I really liked hearing her thoughts about each time and place. There was some humour, compassion, and inevitably Alex was often in danger. It was hard for her to say goodbye because she got attached to the people she lived with for a while, which is understandable as she is a sweet girl.

Alex experiences so many situations – not just while travelling back to the past, but while coping with adjusting to life in a new place, making friends who make time travelling a teensy bit tricky, as well as being bullied which I'm sadly sure many readers can relate to. Hopefully readers will be encouraged to investigate the time periods Alex goes to. I want to read Alex's next adventure right now!

Find out more on Shay's website

Suggested read

No comments: