Wednesday 1 June 2016

Springtime At Cherry Tree Cottage by Cathy Woodman (Romance, Contemporary fiction, 9/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

Love the cover!
 March 2016, Arrow, 416 pages, Paperback, Review copy
 
Summary from Sainsbury's Entertainment who provided the book for review
After years of training, horse-mad Flick has finally achieved her dream of becoming one of the few female blacksmiths in the country.

Her first job is in Talyton St George. The little cottage on the green where she is staying is idyllic, and it feels like the fresh start she needs. But she soon finds she is having to work overtime to prove her abilities to the not-so-welcoming locals.

One person very much on her side though is Robbie Salterton. He’s a bit of a local celebrity – a handsome stunt rider who does charity work in his spare time – and he seems to be going out of his way to look out for Flick. But is he just being friendly or does he see Flick as something more?

Despite swearing off men, Flick can’t help wanting to find out . . .

Nayu's thoughts 
The only reason this wonderful read full of hope and determination doesn't get full marks is because Flick doesn't spill the beans on someone's infidelity, despite wanting to. I won't say any more than that or the story will be spoiled, but I didn't like how she kept quiet despite hating the persom simply because a friend asked her too. Some things are unforgivable in my eyes. Rant over! 

I was intrigued with Flick because I've never read about a female farrier. I always think a blacksmith is an admiral profession-don't despair, I know they are different to farriers. I've heard of a female blacksmith themed anime, so jumped at the chance of reading this book to find out what prejudices Flick has to endure because she is a rare breed. It broke my heart just how hurt she was by her last boyfriend, and how the hurt is sort of continuous through not exactly her fault. Thankfully she meets some welcoming people who balance out the horrid ones. 

I adore Louise who is determined to give her son the best life she can despite her husband not exactly accepting their son's special needs. I loved how motherly Sally-Ann is, how she was a contrast to Flick's own parents. Yes the romance was mostly sweet too, for those who are interested. I was besotted with mischievous Maisie who kept making me smile with her unintended interruptions. Then there's the animal cast, who have distinct personalities including grouchy ones and ones ruled by their stomachs to provide light relief and worry in equal measure. 

I learnt a lot about being a farrier, how injuries are part of the job, how necessary it is for you to have a way with horses and ponies who can help win their owners round when they behaved appropriately as Flick tended to them. Sure she makes mistakes which had me wanting to bash her head on her own anvil, but she learns to let go of her fears, take risks that don't seem sensible, amd follow her heart. I truly hope there will be more books featuring her as the protagonist, as I want her to truly be free from the shackles of her ex. 

No comments: