Wednesday 14 September 2016

The Bear Cub Bakers by Caroline Baxter and Kathi Ember (Children's, Picture Book, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)


May 2016, Big Sunshine Books, 32 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Book summary from Big Sunshine Books
In one busy week with their teacher, six adorable bear cubs all learn to bake lots of tasty treats – with a few mishaps along the way! Join them as they have fun in the kitchen and discover who wins the Best Baker award.

Nayu's thoughts
The story gets cuter on every page!) the front cover drew me in, then I read while mentally squee-ing with fangirl glee at how adorable the bears look. They all have a different style of dress, my favourite being the girl bears. 
So cute!
I love the fine details which scream 'bear' - the honey pot looks like a hive, there's a bee honey cake, and a bear shaped squeezy bottle of something. There's plenty of encouragement, fun and good cheer in each baking challenge which certainly mirrors a certain BBC baking show that's just come back on TV, wih the way different types of baking is tested, how there are some disasters,  and how there's a picnic at the end. Oh and there's a best baker award too! 

I'm sure many readers will easily imagine themselves as the bears, and will want something sweet after reading it too (I had chocolate cookies freshly baked by my family!) It should inspire many readers to try baking-mistakes happen, and everyone improves at their own rate. Never give up - you will be baking fine cakes eventually. I was impressed at the range of items mentioned in book, including spelt and /or soda bread, I've forgotten which. It says some pitfalls like too soggy/dry which happens when you start baking new dishes. I haven't yet tried out the bear buns recipe at the end of the book, aka cupcakes, but it sounds very tasty! 

No comments: