Wednesday 23 November 2016

Sir Dancealot by Timothy Knapman and Keith Robinson (Children's, Picture book, 8/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

 September 2016, Bloomsbury Children's, 32 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Summary from Bloomsbury
From jiving away trolls to boogying aside bogglesnots and bopping off beasties, there's not a fearsome foe Sir Dancealot can't defeat!

But when a fire-breathing dragon arrives at the castle gates demanding a dance-off, everyone is worried. Could this be one step too far for our hero of the dance floor?

Nayu's thoughts
I had to read this fun book twice in a row to be sure of my feelings on it. I didn't like Sir Dancealot. He is too showy, seems a little arrogant rather than humble yet still manages to save the day. It did him a lot of good to discover he isn't amazing at everything, although I doubt his near fail has rattled him much. I simpky didn't like his attitude, as knights in my eyes should be humble and helpful. I really liked how the dragon took Sir Dancealot by surprise in his moves, it shows he isn't as good as he thinks. 

Readers who like dance in any form will enjoy this book, and I think there's a phrase that gets repeated which in in one of the current BBC dance shows, but don't quote me on that as I don't watch them. The bright colours fitted the flamboyant tale (and the amount of arrogance in the knight). It's honestly not a book I'm keeping, but it will be a hit with many readers. 

Find out more on Timothy's website and Keith's website.

No comments: