Friday 21 April 2017

The Decorator Who Knew Too Much by Diane Vallere (Cozy Mystery, 10E/10E)

18th April 2017, Henery Press, 264 pages, Ebook, Review copy 

Content: murder, mystery, some romance, humour, 

Summary from Henery Press
When Interior Decorator Madison Night accepts an assignment in Palm Springs with handyman Hudson James, she expects designing days and romantic nights. But after spotting a body in the river by the job site, she causes a rift in the team. Add in the strain of recurring nightmares and a growing dependency on sleeping pills, and Madison seeks professional help. She learns more about the crime than she’d like thanks to girl talk with friends and smack talk with the local bad boys. After the victim is identified as the doctor she’s been advised to see, she wonders if what she knows can help catch a killer. But this time, what she doesn’t know might be the one thing that saves her life.

Nayu's thoughts 
I can't put my finger on it but this is an incredible read. Considering I haven't read any of the other books in the series I didn't feel like I was in the dark about background stories, in fact the opposite is true. I felt like I already knew Madison, and was returning to be with old friends. Unlike Madison whose friends turn a bit less friendly with what looks like a mistake on her part but ends up being something sinister. I love how she doesn't give up her investigations especially when people are mad at her and danger seems to be coming from all angles. I liked the creativity of her decorating job, how it helped her spot clues others wouldn't notice. I liked how she struggles with both her past and medicine addiction which I know is a reality for many - it's refreshing to have a heroine with obvious flaws (that aren't personality driven).

There are several big plot mysteries that unravel and lead to a surprising end. Related to the end is the fact I was sad to see the story finish. Madison's voice is appealing and I'm glad I had a few hours in a row to read this, so I could read it uninterrupted. There's a good mix of humour and drama that makes it not too scary a read, unless you are on your own. Madison had help some of the time, but her independent streak nearly costs her her life on more than one occasion if I remember correctly. 

This would make an amazing audiobook if it isn't one already! Edited to add it is!!! Not knowing what was going on, the family drama and interfering police provided Madison with a lot of hurdles to get over. I'm looking forward to reading more of her adventures! 

Find out more on Diane's website.  

Suggested read


 

No comments: