Saturday 12 August 2017

A Kiwi Year and A Canadian Year by Tania McCarney and Tina Snerling (Children's, Non-fiction, 10E/10E)



June 2017, EK Books, 32 pages, Hardback, Review copies

Summary for A Kiwi Year by Exisle Publishing
 Meet Charlie, Ruby, Oliver, Mason and Kaia — Kiwi kids representing a multicultural blend of culture and race that typifies our amazing country. They’ll take you through a year in the life of New Zealand's kids, from celebrations, traditions and events, to our everyday way of life and the little things that make childhood so memorable.

Summary for A Canadian Year by Exisle Publishing
Meet Liam, Ava, Oki, Chloe and Noah — Canadian kids representing a multicultural blend of culture and race that typifies our amazing country. They’ll take you through a year in the life of Canada’s kids, from celebrations, traditions and events, to our everyday way of life and the little things that make childhood so memorable.

Nayu's thoughts 
You know a book series is gooed when it has an embargo on it! (It had until publication). I adore this fun, informative series about children's lives in different countries. This time round, unlike other reviews, I've had time to add pictures that I liked in the book!

 A Kiwi Year: I didn't know that Maori's were such a big part of New Zealand's culture, or that many of their native birds - including the kiwi - can't fly. I like how kiwi both means the bird and the tasty if odd looking fruit. Here are some of my favourite pictures; 





 A Canadian Year: For some reason I love what I've heard about the land of maple syrup, so this book was particularly interesting. I knew French is a common language in much of Canada, I didn't know it's the largest speaking French community outisde of Paris, or that it has so many lakes. I know this is possibly politically incorrect, but ever since I can remember I've loved what I call Eskimo outfits! They are called Inuits now,(I looked it up) and yes they have igloos! 




Here are some other of my favourite pictures from the book. 





Both these books are a must read! I like the map and facts at the end of the book, though could do with a glossary for the many different words used, not all that I can figure out their meaning. It encourages readers to look them up but it would be handy having them to hand in the book itself. 

Find out more on Tania's website

Suggested read


No comments: